ATV Torture Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
how are they for vibrations, wear, and handling on the hard pack? I know that their called a mud tire on their web site but to me they look like a good AT tire than a mud. Do you plan on doing any side by side traction tests up against other tires in its class?
Im VERY interested in this thread do to the fact i really dislike my XTR's for all the reason why i like the Spartacus's. Keep us posted

Thanks

·
The Sheriff
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
They actually ride very good. I was concerned they may be rough riding due to being 14" and 8 ply tires but they really don't. My XTRs get to shaking around 40mph which such as much as they cost. These have not done that as of yet. We will being running them on some hard packed trails during our testing so they will be interesting to compare to my XTRs feel on the same surface. However, we plan on putting a couple hundred miles at a minimum before we start writing the review at all.

·
The Sheriff
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Actually they're doing very good. They clean great, and we've found they're actually a better all around tire than the dirct commanders. It just depends on the type of riding you do. If you wanna be able to slide the back end around alot an very easily, the DCs are better for that as you can break them loose very easily whereas the Spartacuses really hook up if you attempt and hard power slide. The DC's are better for powersliding and rocky technical stuff though. In loose dirt and mud, the Spartcases really perform!

We'll be releasing reviews on both tires in the coming weeks.

Buster

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am interested in the Dirt Commanders, Spartacus, and the Dirt Tamers.
Have any of you tested the Tamers yet?

BTW I am new to ATVs and just picked mine up 6 weeks ago.
Thanks

·
SMILEY WHORE
1,028 Posts
CHiLi DaWg ... a couple of the guys here are doing some indepth testing on the Dirt Commanders & the Spartacus tires. The reviews ought to be out soon. ;;t;;

I personally have a set of 27" Dirt Tamers on 12" wheels. I for one am real pleased with them. They make a great summer tire for trails, rock, lite mud, & not to deep of snow in the early winter. They also seem to be wearing like iron. They give a good smooth ride (To me), seem tough & take a beating & keep on ticking ! :cheer:

However, the Dirt Commanders look awesome for an "All-Around" tire. We'll just have to wait & see what the testers say about an 8ply tire. :eek:ccasion14:

Later ...
:headbang:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Gunny said:
CHiLi DaWg ... a couple of the guys here are doing some indepth testing on the Dirt Commanders & the Spartacus tires. The reviews ought to be out soon. ;;t;;

I personally have a set of 27" Dirt Tamers on 12" wheels. I for one am real pleased with them. They make a great summer tire for trails, rock, lite mud, & not to deep of snow in the early winter. They also seem to be wearing like iron. They give a good smooth ride (To me), seem tough & take a beating & keep on ticking ! :cheer:

However, the Dirt Commanders look awesome for an "All-Around" tire. We'll just have to wait & see what the testers say about an 8ply tire. :eek:ccasion14:

Later ...
:headbang:
Thanks for the info! I was thinking about the tamers because of price and the meatiness of the tread, but the commanders look like they will do well for snow plowing and all around trail use.
I can't wait for the review!

·
SMILEY WHORE
1,028 Posts
Don't under estimate the Dirt Tamers. I rode with some guys from another forum this summer. They had the Mud Lite XT's (25's or 26's I think) on & I had the Dirt Tamers. A couple of the guys went thru this mud hole & ended up getting stuck. Now maybe they started in two wheel drive, but I entered the same hole, same line (it only had one line) ... I don't wait to get stuck to put into four-wheel drive, so I did, as well as lock (why have it if ya ain't gonna use it) & the 27" Dirt Tamers. Oh yeah, I threw mud ... but boy were they pissed when I made it thru.
They did go after it again once I got out of the way, that time I'm sure they were in four-wheel drive & they had the throttle pegged .... but they made it.

I also use the Dirt Tamers for plowing snow ... but sooner or later, my 589's go on. But this year, tires off ... tracks on ! ... :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Now, having said all that .... Dang, I sure like the looks of those Dirt Commanders. And I would love a set. So I'm like you & probably a lot of others ... can't wait to read the review. ;;t;; ;;t;; ;;t;;

Later ...
:glasses2:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am new to this site as well and I am looking to buy one or the other. I am very interested in how they steer being 9" on the front. The handling, how well the 14" rims handled the bumps,rock and every day life of hard ridding. Would also like to know how the new rims hold up too, I really like the looks of the new 212's

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had ITP 589 tires 25x12x12s on all corners before I stepped up to the GBC Spartacus 26x9x14f and 26x12x14r. I lost a little ride comfort but i gained way better handling, better grip and no strain going through ruts. The GBC Spartucuses have a soft compound and are an aggressive tire (not recommended for pavement as i would think they would wear quickly) the grip is great all around. the tires give enough for rock climbing allowing the tread to gain grip in many ways.....although keep in mind going with this size you do lose sidewall height so be careful in the rocks as not to damage the wheels! In compacted dirt, the tread is not too aggressive in it power slides well until you hit softer dirt...then hold on! As for mud and water, well have fun pulling your buddies out with lesser tires. Also, the cleaning aspect allows you to share the mud out the back with your buddies. With the tread design, it sprays the water out instead of up, the cleaning is incredible, and the ride is smooth. at this point in the review, I can't find anything negative yet. You can tell GBC did their homework on this one. Hope this helps. Good luck, have fun and be safe. And remember...YBUgly!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the info, it helps when your thinking of putting down lots of money on a product that no one has in your area to look at. Not sure which one im going with yet. How much psi are you running with?

·
Registered
3 Posts
The wheels are holding up as is expected for a black wheel. Ya know, with black, you're gonna get scuffs and they've gotten some from the way we ride. However, it's normal wear and tear as is to be expected. Overall, happy with them in every way.

It just happened that we were trying to find some wheels to go with these tires that kid of matched the ATVTorture truck. They're very similar as you can see in the pics other than the fact that the wheels on the truck have an aluminum color ridge around them. So, it was a good match, from a great manufacturer and at a good price form our supplier.

Thanks!
YBUgly

21 - 38 of 38 Posts