ATV Torture Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a video we took yesterday of a drag race up the famous Sand Mountain, at Little Sahara Recreational Area in central Utah. Sand Mountain is 700 vertical feet of sand.

The Grizzly 700 is ridden by my 18 year old son. The Grizzly has a gutted stock exhaust silencer with a 2R Racing exhaust tip. It also has countless hours spent on clutch tuning. I have tried a total of eight different combinations of clutch roller weights, and two different combinations of clutch sheaves, and have selected the one combination that gave the fastest times in uphill 300' drag races against a stop watch. Literally hundreds of timed drag races were done in order to select the fastest clutch tune possible with the Grizzly's 25" Terracross XD tires.

The Renegade is ridden by myself, and I weigh 50 lbs more than my son. The Renegade also has 20 lbs worth of Ricochet skid plates bolted to its belly, which combined with the weight of the Renegade and the weight of the rider give the Renegade a 77 lb weight disadvantage. Weight is a big factor when racing uphill in sand, but the Renegade brings much more horsepower to the table than the Grizzly does, and also has a Ron Wood exhaust on it. The Renegade is running stock tires, and stock everything else.

I'll let the results speak for themselves.

http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j175/ps3tv/Motorsports/?action=view&current=MOV00052.flv

3TV

· THE ENFORCER
2,036 Posts
I'm pretty sure I didn't see the paddle tires on the Gade. The power of the Gade is obviously superior, do you think paddles on that Griz would had helped him at least stay in the race? I was wondering if the Griz was going to make it. Very interesting race for comparisons sake. It really shows the utility ATV riders the power these Gades harness. And for me, adds a point to the Outlanders side for my next purchase.

On the other hand....it just wasn't fair. Kudos to your son for charging through. I hope you gave him the opportunity to woop you. LOL! Great vid 3TV

· Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Gade had the OEM Holeshot ATRs on it for this race. The Grizz had 25" Terracross tires on it, which are much better sand tires than the OEM Grizzly tires are.

Watch my son in the video and you can see how frustrated he is. 2/3 of the way up the hill you can see him resting his left elbow on the handlebar and resting his helmet on his hand in total boredome as he holds the throttle wide open with his right hand, waiting for the Grizzly to slowly slowly slowly churn its way to the top.

Don't feel too bad for my son though, because this is the one and only trip to Sand Mountain where I have beat him on the hill. When we have gone with our bikes, and he has been on his KTM 300 XC and I have been on my KTM 525 MXC, he would win every race. If we would switch bikes he would still beat me when he was riding the 525 and I was riding the 300, because the bike with the lighter weight rider would always win. When we would go to Sand Mountain with our quads, he would always win, irregardless if he was riding his YFZ 450 and I was riding my DS 650, or if we switched quads and he was riding the DS 650 and I was riding the YFZ 450, because once again the quad with the lighter rider would win. And on other trips when he was on his YFZ 450 and I was on my KFX 700 V-Force he would still win every race, irregardless of which ATV he was on. That kid was undefeated on Sand Mountain, so he has had his share of wins. Since then, he has grown and has gained 30 lbs of muscle, and I have lost 30 lbs of fat. He still has a considerable weight advantage over me, but not enough to overcome the horsepower advantage of the Renegade on this trip.

3TV

· Registered
33 Posts
Great video 3TV,I had no dout you were going to win. :laughing7: That renagade is a very serious power quad. bowdown I could feel for your son,It hurt watching the poor grizz work so hard getting up that hill. :dontknow: Was he able to make the top before those other quads got there.lol :laughing4: Ofcourse we all know there are some limitations the grizz has to face big sand hill are ONE.lol Thanks for sharing this as hard as it was to watch I couldn't help but laught after a while from sheer pain your son was in as he tryed to catch up to your cloud of sand. :BangHead:
I hope every one had a great time any ways and all were safe. :eek:ccasion14:

· Registered
11 Posts
It came out just as it should have.
The Grizz has around 45-46 hp
The 800R has 62-63

Would be a mighty sickly 800R that couldn't beat a Grizz
Can-am is getting awesome power out of their motors for the displacement.

BTI

· Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From what I have read on the CARB web site Yamaha is getting 45 hp at the crank with their Grizzly 700, and Can Am is getting 68 hp at the crank with their 2009 800 R engine (up from 64 hp with the old 800 engine). So the Can Am has roughly 50% more power, which is pretty much what it feels like riding the two ATVs back to back. No comparison, the Can Am absolutely smokes the Grizzly. The Grizzly is a great ATV, but it is not fast.

3TV

· The Sheriff
1,822 Posts
Boy this really put things in perspective about the power difference between the 2.

· Premium Member
120 Posts
BATTLEGUN said:
I'm pretty sure I didn't see the paddle tires on the Gade. The power of the Gade is obviously superior, do you think paddles on that Griz would had helped him at least stay in the race? I was wondering if the Griz was going to make it. Very interesting race for comparisons sake. It really shows the utility ATV riders the power these Gades harness. And for me, adds a point to the Outlanders side for my next purchase.
Don't forget bout the new BF750i... that thing's a beast...

· Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well you learn something every day. I just read a magazine review of the '09 Renegade 800 R tonight, and when I read where Rotax engines are built it was like someone turned on a light bulb.

I have been a KTM dirt bike fan for several years. The KTM engines make the most power, and the best power you can buy in a dirt bike. Power is the top priority for me, everything else is secondary, so I keep coming back to KTM for bikes.

My favorite ATVs prior to this Renegade 800 were the Bombardier DS 650s that I owned. I owned three of them, a 2002, a 2003 Baja DS, and a Viper Red 2005 DS. It was the power of the Rotax 650 that kept me coming back each time. The DS 650 had more power, and better power than any of the competitors sport quads those years.

Well silly me, I never knew that Rotax engines were made in Austria. Hello, ... KTMs are made in Austria as well. Those Austrians know how to build good engines. So are there any cars or pickup trucks that are made in Austria? ;;t;;

· Premium Member
148 Posts
That is an awesome hill..
are there trails in that area for the Utes?
I will be checking that place out for a trip next year.. great video too..

· Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That hillclimb is at Sand Mountain, which is at the Little Sahara Recreational Vehicle Area. The whole recreational area is open to off road travel, and is at least 100 square miles in size; perhaps as much as double or triple that much. There are trails all over the place in the recreational vehicle area itself, and just as many trails outside of the recreational area. The land that is all around the south, west, and north of the recreational area has been used for motorcycle and ATV desert racing for decades. There are literally THOUSANDS of miles of old desert race courses that range from whooped out sand fence lines, to flat out desert, to single track mountain goat trails in the moutains. Some of the mountain trails can be really hard core, because they try to make the courses "challenging" for the pro class riders that race the AMA Hare & Hound Desert Race Series. Some of those trails have kicked my butt big time over the years, on a dirt bike.

This whole area, which includes the recreational vehicle area, and the Jericho area to the west, is the best motorcycle and ATV riding area I have ever seen, anywhere in the country.

3TV

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.