ATV Torture Forums banner

PIAA light install question

3095 Views 8 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  desertrat
For you that have PIAA lights..
Im installing my PIAA lights on my rack.
When I tighten down the light to the PIAA universal bracket the light will not remain straight.
In other words the name PIAA written in the light cover will be slightly crooked.
If I back out the light enough to straighten out the name the light is loose.
I have tried a couple different sizes of washers acting as spacers but that will not work either.
It appears to be 1/8 of a turn or possibly less.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
I am trying to follow exactly what you are doing but am having a problem. I am using the universal brackets on my setup on the front racks and have not had any problems.

Any chance you could take a picture and post it?
oh duh,, yea I can,, sorry.
You can see the one on the left I finally got it to tighten, although I am not sure how tight it really is, I can locktight it later.
The one the right seems to go too far when it is tightened.
any suggestions?

See less See more
Loosen the big bolt inside the bracket and turn the light. And it looks from the angle of the right side one that you have it mounted in the corner bend of the rack. You need ot have it on the straight part of the rack so it doesn't aim outward.

Buster
Congratz on them lights...I will have some some day
Loosen the big bolt inside the bracket and turn the light. And it looks from the angle of the right side one that you have it mounted in the corner bend of the rack. You need ot have it on the straight part of the rack so it doesn't aim outward.

Buster
It's on the straight section of the bar about 4" from the beginning of the curve.
Although I may move them outward so that they do point just a little towards the outside for a wider beam displacement. They are about as bright as my high beams but they burn whiter. I will do my adjusting after I figure out how to get them straight.

The big bolt on the inside wont turn because of the little "lumps" on the inside of the bracket that keep it from turning. I could loosen the nut then turn the bolt 1/4 turn. I have tried almost everything else I can think of to get it straight. In fact I did get it pretty straight but I had to tighten the nut so tight I thought I was going to strip the threads.

I called PIAA and sent him the pic and I think that he is as confused as I am. I havent heard back, either that or he thinks I am crazy...
Take a pic of the inside of that bracket and post it. Your mounting bracket may be diggeret than mine and GW's which may be causing the confusion. Mine and his have a single bolt inside the bracket, a large head bolt, that goes into the thingy the u-bolts go through. No nut on it at all, except for the u-bolt nuts.

Take a pic and we'll figure it out for you. Do you know the part number on your mount?

Buster
ok... I think I have it but I had to REALLY torque it down to get it straight.
I have the Grizz loaded up to do a ride tomorrow in the rain,, wooo hoioooo.
I have the PIAA universal mounting bracket http://www.piaa.com/Powersports/mounting.html

Now that you say that I think I know what you are saying.
I am using the bolt and nut that came with the light and screwing it directly into the "thingy".
You say use the bolt that came with the bracket with no nut.. correct?

When I get back tomorrow I will try that...
wata difference a bolt makes

:yay2:Ok.. I changed bolts and it made all the difference in the world, dunno why, but it did.

so after I got them all straight I realized that not using the longer bolt with the nut places my lights about a 1/2 closer to my gear. This causes the lights to touch my Kolpin fuel packs. I am not sure how warm the back of the lights get after they have been on for a while but I decided to be safe anyway.

Soooo I decided that I would fill the huge air gap in the middle of the bumper and mount the lights there.

as a side note if you use the PIAA lamps upside down when you turn the grills over you should also loosen the screws on the side of the lamps, pop the lenses out and turn them over. The lamps are designed to be used top side up to get the correct beam pattern.
See less See more
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.