ATV Torture Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
269 Posts
Use this information at your own risk. ATVTorture assumes no responsibility for any damage you may incur to yourself or your equipment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVmsURzhiVQ

one thing to be aware of is the stator on the renegade only charges they system once it reaches 4000 rpms. i guess it's so that the charging system doesn't rob any hp at lower rpms, but if anyone performs this mod make sure to switch back to low beams while idling for an extended time. i'm thinking of setting up a dual battery system, as i plan on hardwiring my gps and using the 12v plug for keeping cell phone charged, etc.

· Registered
269 Posts
That's interesting information to know, and the first I have heard of it. Any one know if this is the standard on other machines?
i would imagine you could find out by using a volt meter on the battery. should read a little over 13V when the stator is charging. if you are getting 13V at idle, then your outlander charges at any rpm. if you have to increase the idle to get to around 13V, then it's similar to the renegade. hope this helps:hello:

· Registered
269 Posts
one possible scenario, if you want to run all 4 lights, would be to use lower wattage bulbs. the sylvania 9040 36 watt bulb draws almost 2 amps less (each) than the stock bulb, and is a direct replacement. it won't be as bright as the stock bulb, but still brighter than the lights on most atvs.

· Registered
269 Posts
there is an auxiliary power connector under the pod that i used to hardwire my gps. that way, my 12v socket is free whenever i get a flat and need to use the compressor! i actually put in a 2nd 12v lighter socket under the pod, because there is a circuit board inside the 12v plug on the gps' power cable to drop the voltage to 5v.

· Registered
11 Posts
Wow, that really causes a little grief if you wanted to run auxiliary equipment. I really couldn't see the Outlander having this issue. What if you needed to use a winch?
I have a 3k lb winch, and have used it several times (don't ask:) ) in the same day with no issues. I just bring the throttle up to about 4k and start winching.

I even spooled off all 100 feet of line the other day and back on twice with the engine at idle and had no issues, but I do have a battery tender connected while the bike is in the garage to keep the battery full.

My personal belief is that folks use the winch and then do not top the battery back off, so eventually, it does not take much to run it down, but I could be wrong. Your mileage may vary......

Gerry

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.