ATV Torture Forums banner

Is the 2010 Renegade 800 X Xc the Best Handling 4x4 ATV Ever Made?

12K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Mack450 
#1 · (Edited)
Its the 2010 Can Am Renegade 800 R X Xc. Can Am made a few changes to the Renegade X for 2010, most notably power steering and a front swaybar. Both of those changes have really improved handling on what was argueably the best handling 4x4 ATV to start with.

I went for a ride yesterday with the family and got a chance to put the 2010 Gade threw its paces. We rode a fantastic ATV trail that went for miles and miles through cedar tree forest. The trail had a whole series of banked sand turns, with one tight turn right after another, after another, after another, for miles and miles. It was like a whole series of S-turns linked together for as far as the eye could see to the horizon, with almost no straightaways between the turns.

I am very impressed with the cornering capability of the new Renegade X Xc. Even after coming off of a 2009 Renegade 800 R I found that I had to completely re-adjust my braking points and cornering speed. I kept braking too soon, and then figuring out I could do the turn faster, and having to accelerate again before the turn. The new X Xc can corner that much faster than a previous model Renegade is able to. The power steering makes corner turn-in so easy, and the new front swaybar keeps the ATV so flat in the turn, that cornering is very precisely controlled and essentially effortless.

I was able to catch and pass my 19 year old son riding a Raptor 250 as we raced through this tight twisty section of trail. I know, I know, your laughing right now because I said Raptor 250. But the Raptor 250 isn't like most 250cc ATVs, it is a real sport quad with a superb chassis and suspension package. And keep in mind that in most forms of cross country racing the 250cc machines will have faster times through the tight sections of race course than the 450cc machines will. The Raptor 250 is the same way, and it will flat out haul through the tight twisty turns. And this Raptor 250 was being ridden by a 19 year old that has lots of racing experience, who has won desert races before, and he was bent on keeping dear old dad behind him on this trail ride. I have a vivid picture imprinted in my mind from yesterday of that Raptor 250 skipping across the tops of a seciton of whoops at 50 mph, kicked sideways at a 45 degree angle, with one front tire lightly touching the top of a whoop, and the other three tires in the air, and my tall lanky 19 year old son hanging completely off the side of the ATV as he is trying to correct its mid-flight path. And at that time on the Can Am I was thinking "don't loose it now, because I'm only 15 feet behind you". If you're going to pass someone on a tight twisty trail you've got to be right on their ass to be able to make a move when you get the chance. That was one "spirited" trail ride, to say the least.

Can Am really stepped it up in the handling department with the new Renegade X Xc. Handling is phenomenal, and a huge improvement over prior Renegades, which were already better than any other 4x4 ATV made. I've owned most 4x4 sport utility ATVs, and in my opinion the 2010 Renegade X Xc easily wins the handling contest. If anyone knows of a challenger lets hear about it.

3TV

See less See more
#2 ·
That is excellent 3TV! I am really liking the XXC. If it wasn't so pricey I would love to own one. I think they should make an option for red and black XXC....instead of "school bus" lol

#6 ·
I was hoping your pre-review wouldn't say what it did but it said as I suspected it would. All I can say is DAMNIT! I want power steering again now. Hell with the colors, they can be covered up or replaced.

#7 ·
Now, now B-Dub .... control those outbrust dude :hello:

Look, take off the mods ya can off yer machine ... sell it ... and start anew .... Com'on ... haven't you been listen'in to the pres .... help stimulate the economy dude !! :cheer: :cheer: ;;s;;

You just called me a bad name didn't ya ?? :rotfl:

#8 ·
Yeah believe me, I would like to do that. I knew when power steering news was released I would want it. I let the colors talk me out of wanting it.

#13 ·
Buster, you could always give me your Renegade....I will ride the piss out of it and stimulate the economy around here by buying gas. You can then get your XXC...they we both stimulate the economy and you its a win win...your happy and I am happy...

;;s;;

#14 ·
Mack, that sounds like a great idea! If I thought you could handle the power, I would ship it right to you via overnight freight. ;;s;;

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.