ATV Torture Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I am getting ready to move, and good news is that this house is bigger and nicer, and is 10mins or less from 3 good riding spots. However, bad news is that I have no place to keep all of my truck parts I was using to build a muddin truck, and no more old trucks at the house. :crybaby2:

Ok, so you all know that time when you wife says that you have to do something you don't want to do, and you are thinking:thefinger: After I got over that I began thinking, and then you come back at them with a compramise:evil5:

I got my wife to go along with this compramise: I sell all of my spare parts and old truck, and then I get to go out and buy a used sport quad for around $3500:rockon:

Now is where I need your help! I have decided that I am either going with a Honda TRX 450R or a Yamaha YFZ450! I rode a buddies 450R and it is a bad:pottytrain2: machine, but I have neard good things about the YFZ450 and it's a yamaha, which I am a huge fan of! So what are ya'll's thoughts? ???

· Registered
555 Posts
We've owned two YFZ 450s. They are great machines. Never had a single problem with either one of them.

· Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to both of you, I think this is going to be one of the toughest decisions I have made in a long time! I am looking at them and comparing, and I keep finding great things about both and downsides to both!

· Registered
24 Posts
tough decision

I personally know people who own both. Unfortunatly both have had engine failures. Crank bearings if im not mistaken. On the other hand they like the machines, repaired the motors and continue to ride them. I have ridden only the Honda. It has the HRC kit and hauls. I would recommend riding both, see which one fits u. Try to get one with maintenance history.

good luck & have fun

· SMILEY WHORE
1,028 Posts
Grizz Rider ... I was gonna say "Spanked" ... but I can't find a smilie to go along with that :cwm10: ... so here's my next come back ....

Grizz RIder ... what are you ... SICK ?? :sad4: ... Lite Headed ?? :sad1: ... or just jerk'in our chain ?? :whateva:

You is a YAMAHA Guy ... you said it yourself ... so there's nothing to decide ... except ... do ya get an 08 or an 09 model ?? :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:

Oh, & I had such high regards for your intelligence ..... :eek:

All the Honda guys ... relax ... ;;s;;

Later ...
:seesaw:

· The Boss
4,037 Posts
Here is a suggestion. Have you ever considered the KFX-700? They are automatic, fast and full of torque. Lots of mods offered for them. And best yet, you can pick a nice one up with Elkas occasionally for around $3000. Plus, since you are a Utility rider the V-force is a little larger. It doesn't feel like you are riding a little bike.

· THE ENFORCER
2,036 Posts
That wasn't an option for him so I didn't go there. Plus I'm not sure you could find one in good running order for his budget.

Here is a suggestion. Have you ever considered the KFX-700? They are automatic, fast and full of torque. Lots of mods offered for them. And best yet, you can pick a nice one up with Elkas occasionally for around $3000. Plus, since you are a Utility rider the V-force is a little larger. It doesn't feel like you are riding a little bike.
Very good points GW! I think I would have to look into that.

· Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will look into the KFX-700 hadn't thought of that! I figured they would be out of my price range because they are a lot bigger. Yeah the KTM525 is awesome, but as BG said thinkin it's out of my price range. As for Gunny, yeah I realy do like the yamaha and if I could get a new one I would be getting an 09 with the FI, but I can't seem to find a dealer that is willing to give me one for $3500 ??? what gives! Since I am a utility rider, and I ride trails all the time, I keep thinking that the 450R is not for me, because there is no reverse and that can be a hassle on the trail!

Anyone know how much heavier the KFX700 is from a typical 450, that is the other reason I hadn't considered a bigger quad, I was thinking light wieght would be nice for control and safety, in case I find myself under it! All of you are giving me great ideas and thanks to slim daddy for the heads up on engine issues! I was also told that if I go with the honda I should go with the 05, because of issues they have been having with the newer ones! Keep the opnions coming!

· Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That almost sounds like a great idea! ALMOST! :)

· The Sheriff
1,822 Posts
My vote goes for the KFX.

I'm like GW, I think the YFZ feels too small. going from my 700 to that feels like going from a CR125 to a 50. Too small, short wheelbase. Not for me.

· THE ENFORCER
2,036 Posts
I will look into the KFX-700 hadn't thought of that! I figured they would be out of my price range because they are a lot bigger. Yeah the KTM525 is awesome, but as BG said thinkin it's out of my price range. As for Gunny, yeah I realy do like the yamaha and if I could get a new one I would be getting an 09 with the FI, but I can't seem to find a dealer that is willing to give me one for $3500 ??? what gives! Since I am a utility rider, and I ride trails all the time, I keep thinking that the 450R is not for me, because there is no reverse and that can be a hassle on the trail!

Anyone know how much heavier the KFX700 is from a typical 450, that is the other reason I hadn't considered a bigger quad, I was thinking light wieght would be nice for control and safety, in case I find myself under it! All of you are giving me great ideas and thanks to slim daddy for the heads up on engine issues! I was also told that if I go with the honda I should go with the 05, because of issues they have been having with the newer ones! Keep the opnions coming!
At a glance...

The 2008 KFX700

Dry Weight: 516 lb
Seat Height: 33.5 in
Wheel Base: 50.6 in
Overall Height: 46.1 in
Overall Length: 78.1 in
Overall Width: 47 in

The 2008 YFZ

Dry Weight: 350 lb
Seat Height: 31.9 in
Wheel Base: 50.4 in
Overall Height: 42.9 in
Overall Length: 72.4 in
Overall Width: 46.1 in

Looks like the biggest difference between the two are weight and cc's. I know this isn't a good comparison to base a decision on, but it's a starting point.

· Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the specs BG, the wieght difference was what I was afraid of! I was also lookin into the KFX700 and does anyone know do they only come as automatic? I can't find one that doesn't have one, and this makes me assume that they are. That takes away some of the fun, and I think that gets me closer to riding a utility with a sport body. This makes me shy away from that because I want a different riding experience, and the ability to do all of the stuff a sporty can do and then go home and switch so I can go play in the mud and work on the farm. Know what I mean?!

· The Boss
4,037 Posts
GR, the KFX is a CVT transmission only. The weight is a drawback to the KFX. But this is mainly due to the tranny and engine displacement. It is a V-twin, so it has loads of torque! Shifting is fun, but this thing really will wake you up when you pull the trigger! It's nothing like your Grizzly...Trust me. It handles just like a sport quad, can hang with many, very easy to maintain, HAS REVERSE and absolutely screams! Mine has hit 80 one time and probably the last as it felt fast enough. If you are looking for something lower to the ground, you can drop it with a lowering kit, and run lower profile tires and wheels or leave it as is. And as you can see from the specs that it isn't much different in dimentions than the YFZ aside from the weight.

· Registered
21 Posts
If the KTM didnt cost $11.5k, it would be a good choice. :beer"

I have a friend with a 07 yfz450, awesome bike, never had any problems with it. the KFX700 looks good too, and personal preference i would chose the kfx over the yfz, simply because of reverse, big vtwin, and the cvt, and also the amount of mods out for them. There're guys with 916 bbks, with clutch work breaking 100mph on these, would make for a awesome ride, hehe.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.