ATV Torture Forums banner

81 - 99 of 99 Posts

·
The Boss
4,362 Posts
Trailhunter said:
:dontknow: am i missing something here? My bottom end has suffered considerabley with this sheave . Im not kidding im [email protected]#$$ing mad. I cant pop a wheelie now without yarding on the bars as hard as i can ( im 210lbs and strong) And it doesnt even pop up half the time. I could pop it up with little to no effort before with my 450 weights before the sheave. The clutch seems like it doesnt engage until about 15-20 kms and hour in high range. The mid to to top end power has increased slightly but nothing to dance about. Arent the FIX weights lighter than the 450's ? I need help here before i lose my mind and temper.
Trailhunter,

Here are the weight differences we are seeing between the 2.

Fix Sheave Weights (8) 15.7x8 125.6

Kodiak 450 Weights (8) 14.1x8 112.8

And It appears that I we are seeing very different gains clear across the board. We are also finding out that this kis is requiring some tuning with weights.

·
The Boss
4,362 Posts
Another thing we are noticing is the shims included with the sheave are creating some differences. This may be due to the weight combinations we are using.

·
SMILEY WHORE
1,028 Posts
TrailHunter .... BusterW & GrizzlyWizard & some of the others have played around with using different rollers, so hopefully, they can assist you.

But first, what size tire are you running ?? Did you have a clutch kit (rollers) in before you installed the sheave ??
Now, I can only speak for how my machine responded to this sheave, I had a Dalton Clutch kit in & I reinstalled THOSE rollers in the new sheave. (All eight of them). I didn't use the ones that came in the kit.
If you had larger tires & a rollers from a clutch kit, try putting those eight rollers back in & see how it acts.

If you have stock size tires & no clutch kit, do like some here & install four 450 rollers & perhaps four 660 rollers. I believe I've read where one or two guys have even used two of one weight rollers & six of the other.

Search back thru the posts here, BusterW had a link to roller weights for all different kinds of rollers (Two charts). He did a lot of work to compile this info. You need to print it out & have it handy to work thru your problem. You may have to mix & match rollers, cause if you read back thru some of the posts, one or two others have had to do some changing of rollers compared to others.

Let us know how it goes ....

Later ...
:headbang:

·
Registered
2 Posts
What gains and disadvantages would be present to just change the weights and not buy the new clutch? I only ask as it seems after buying the clutch you have to play with the weights anyways. I have a stock 07 grizzly. I am pleased with how it performs now, but like everyone always itching for a little more.

·
SMILEY WHORE
1,028 Posts
warj1990,
I'm sure others will chime in, but going to the new sheave will give you more than a pipe without the noise or jetting issues of a pipe.

Yes, some have "Played" with different rollers as you mentioned, I've been lucky (as well as pleased) & haven't had to. (I used the ones from my clutch kit which I had added earlier)

Now, if you've been following this, some have "had to" to play with different rollers ... but others are only doing this to "Fine Tune" the clutch for peak perforamnce.

There are quiet a few riders out there that do just change the rollers (for instance, four Kodiak 450 rollers & four Grizz 660 rollers) & get real good gains .... and yes, that is much cheaper.

Hopefully, others will comment on this for you & help you decide. Either way ... Zoom, Zoom !!

Later ...
:headbang:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all! This message is for Buster W....

I need some clarification regarding some posts you've made (I'm confused ???). I have a 700 Grizzly, totally stock except for 27 inch XTR's. I bought a FIX sheave but I am quite disappointed with it. I saw no gains. I realize you folks are trying different weight combinations and this is where I need some clarification. In reply number 14 you say that we "need to keep the weight on each of the four ramps evenly disbursed so sheave is balanced". But then in reply 75 you used six Kodiaks and 2 FIX weights???
Also, your chart states that the FIX weights are heavier than the Kodiak but in reply 21 someone posted that FIX states that their weights are lighter than Kodiak?

In addition, in reply 43 you say that "you found out FIX weights are much lighter" - (than what?)
In reply 75 you state that FIX weights as an entire assembly are too heavy.

I'm trying to figure out how to set up my clutch but I'm getting confused as to what weight combinations are lighter/heavier?

Right now I've got all eight FIX weights in the clutch and as I said earlier, I noticed no improvement and looks like I lost 4 mph on the top end. I'm thinking of trying 4 Kodiaks and 4 FIX as it seems that it helped out your acceleration times in one of your other posts as compared to all FIX weights.

Please help! Thanks :)

·
The Sheriff
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
OK, lemme see if I can help you.

As you can see, I've tried a LOT of weight combinations trying to get the best setup for my quad, which obviously has quite a bit of other performance add-ons. The concept is that the lighter the total weight of all the weights, the faster the sheave is gonna open up, thus giving more low-end power. According to some folks, the downside is that the lighter the overall weight combo, it can result in a lower top-speed. In MY testing, I have not found this to be true as you will see shortly.

In my original tests, I had only considered combinations of weights in sets of 4 so the weight was evenly dispersed around the sheave. However, I had overlooked the fact that using 6 of one weight and 2 of another, with the 2 weights that were the same size, directly across the sheave from one another, that the sheave would remain in balance. I believe a post or PM from 3TV put this idea in my head as he also has been doing some testing as well and has provided us some great data from what he has found. Anyway, with this additional concept of 6-2 in mind, when I created my charts of different weight combos, I added sets of 6 and 2 in the charts as well to provide for additional minor adjustment and fine-tuning.

In response to post #43 about the "Fix weights are much lighter", this was something that later I thought that I clarified but it may have not been as clear as I thought. We were told originally that the Fix weights were 12.5 grams/each. By the way the sheave performed with all Fix weights, we "assumed" that the reason was b/c 12.5grams x 8 weights was too light of a setup and it was causing adverse results. We later determined the Fix weights were not 12.5 grams, but rather were 15.7. Using all Fix weights, and finding the difference in the actual weights of them over what we were told, made a HUGE difference in overall weight. Then we started testing heavier and lighter total weight combinations rather than just 8 Fix weights.

After swapping weights a number of times, I'm currently running 6 Kodiak weights and 2 Fix weights which is a pretty light setup. Off the line, it pulls pretty strong. Also, my top-speed is pretty darned good as well. Let me put the top speed in perspective. With a stock sheave, 4-700 weights and 4-660 weights, and my XTRs, my quad would run 60 on the speedo. Today, with the 6 Kodiak weights and 2 Fix weights, I ran 66.2 mph on my GPS and the speedo was showing 65.

Most likely, I'm gonna pull my weights again and replace the 2 remaining Fix weights with 2 more Kodiak for a total of 8 Kodiak weights and see how well it performs bottom end or if at that point it's just obnoxious torque-wise for trail riding. All in all, I care little to nothing of whether my quad runs 60 or 65 as that just ain't how I ride. I've been riding since I was two and started riding a 2-stroke YZ80 dirtbike when I was 7. I'm used to low-end power and a strong power-band in 2-stroke dirtbikes and 3-wheelers. So, if I do something the drops 2-5 mph in top-speed but makes the bottom end pull like hell, then for me, that's a good trade b/c honestly, I find myself nailing the throttle and jumping from a start much more often than I find myself runnning wide open throttle.

The decision of how you want your's setup is going to be based on what you want to gain and what sacrifice you want to lose. However, as I stated a few paragrphs up, I don't see a top-end loss by running a very light weight setup.

Does that help, and answer everything you asked.

If not, post more and I'll see what other insight I can provide based on my testing and what I've tried.

Buster

·
The Sheriff
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
I also noticed you said you were confused about what combos are lighter/heavier. For that, you may want to see the charts I put in another thread if you haven't found them already.

They are here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Buster...thanks for the reply. I much prefer the feel of accelleration rather than top speed but at this point, I gave up 4mph on the top end and got nothing in return. It seems that the plastic covers on the weights weigh about 3 g.,so maybe when they stated that the Fix weights were 12.5 g.,they didn't include the plastic(12.5+3=15.5g as per your method of weighing). The difference bet. 8 kodiak and 8 fix weights is a total of 12.8g....interesting that it makes that much difference. Hopefully I get similar results when I try 8 kodiaks....like I said earlier,I am dissapointed with the Fix sheave and weights as delivered. Onrope uses 4-450 and 4-660 weights in his set-up(128.4g.). How can that be much better than 8 fix weights(125.6g.)? I wonder if the 660 weights would start to move before the 450 (since they are heavier) and create a more varied effect than 8 weights of the same size all starting to move at the same time? If I don't figure this sheave out, I'll need to return it. Either way,I'm going to try the Dynatech cdi,EHS air box cover(and possibly the EHS intake system and fuel controller). ;;t;; To everybody that posts...keep up the good work and sharing of info. Dan

·
The Sheriff
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
Well, I understand your logic on the possibility of them saying the weights were 12.5 grams (minus the plastic) but they ship them with the plastic. In inquiring with Fix as to what their weights are, i would assume the response would have been the weight they ship as, which includes the plastic sheathing. All I can say is that the weights as shipped are 15.7 grams which for our setup, seemed too heavy as a complete package. We've read others that have used all Fix weights and have loved the results.

As is OnRope, I also ran 4-660 weights with 4-450 weights. I have at this point seen better results on my wheeler by going slightly lighter. Onrope has not tried the setup I have as of yet as he doesn't have the additional kodiak weights so he was limited to what he has.

As we've said many times, the sheave isn't such that it's weight combo is gonna be ideal for every single machine from our findings and you may have to play with the weight cmbinations to get it working perfect for your setup, your additional add-ons which influence the overall machine weight like bumpers, storage boxes and in addition to your own body weight. from people the have posted here and on GC, more people seem to be having to play with different weight schemes than there are those that are using the weights that are provided with the sheave.

We also encourage people that if they're getting less than satisfactory results from their sheave, to just call Fix and talk to them. In all conversations we've had with them, they were very easy to talk to and seemed very eager to help.

All we can do is lend some insight as to our findings and what tweaks we had to make with the weights on our quads that made the setup perform optimally. So, what works perfect on our machine may be completely different on a quad that has different parts, or even no heavy parts added that changes the overall weight of the quad. Also, consider that if you and I have the exact same setup and I'm say 195 lbs and you're 165 or even 250lbs, you being much lighter or heavier that me will make a major difference in the bottom end pull from a dead stop throttle stab between yours and mine.

We're experimenters here by nature and where we would love certain parts to require no tweaks out of the box, certain parts wiil require it and some of those tweaks, we tweakers enjoy to an extent. Unfortunately, add-ons like fuel controllers, clutches and possibly even suspension will require some tweaking by the buyer to get it working for their riding style and setup. For those that don't care to take the time to do that type of fiddling, then some add-ons may not be for them.

Buster

·
The Boss
4,362 Posts
I got to try some extensive riding in So. WV this past weekend. A total of over 300 miles and I cannot be happier with the overall performance of this sheave. Once everything broke in and seated it really worked well. Now, like Buster said it took some tweaking in to get what I wanted out of it. Could I get more you ask? Most certainly, but time is hardly on my side and I am content right now with what I have. I isn't a wheelie machine. But I am running a heavy Warn bumper, Winch and box on the front rack. When that stuff is off it will wheelie quite easily.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Has anyone tried 2-660 2-FIX 4-450 weights ? Or 2-700 2-660 2-FIX 2-450 ? Or will that make the sheave off balance? I havent had any time to do my own testing do to a busy work schedule and pregnant girlfriend.

What seems to work with the stock grizz with 27 xtr's and 14inch rims? I need my bottom end back and it seems ive loss some top end speed as well.

·
The Sheriff
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
I just don't see how it could possibly work to alter the weights like that. I think it would be so out of balance that it could tear stuff up. At the least, I think it would have a hellacious vibration.

Using 2-660 2-FIX 4-450 weights would equate to 123.8 whereas 8 Fix weights would be 125.6 for a difference of 1.8 grams which isn't much. However, as we've said a clutch SHOULD be fined tuned. I just don't think this variation in weights is the way to do it.

The second combo mentioneproposed equates to 135.6. Using 4-660 and 4-Fix weights would be 134.8 and 6 Kodiak and 2-450's would be 136.2. Either of those would be much better balanced and just ever so slightly heavier or lighter than the proposed 2-700 2-660 2-FIX 2-450 setup.

Buster

·
Registered
25 Posts
Maybe ill just through the 4-450 and 4 -700 back in. I like the bike better with that set up more than the fix sheave and weights. Im going to play with it but i was expecting more for $300 from the first review i read about the sheave. Hopefully i can make it work for me. As it is now i can barely do a wheelie , my buddies stock 700 beats me everytime in a race.......im confused here

·
The Sheriff
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
TH, I want to confirm first that you ARE running a 700. I assume you are. With that assumption, tell us what your current weights are, what you've tried and what your results are. The thread is heelaciosuly long so I don't want to read back through the entire thing. I know...laziness, but I would like to help you if I can.

Let me also reiterate we are not from Fix, we are not a representative of Fix. We simply get a product, test it on our modified machines, and provide whaty our machines already have done to them. We merely tested the products on 2 of our test 700's and found very good results AFTER fine tuning our weights. I am running a very light weight setup, got extremely good low-end results and actually added 6mph or so on top-end. From MY findings on my quad, with my many other mods, lighter weights worked best.

We can't give a review that is going to work for every quad with a lot of differencet variances in mods. All we can provide is , with our setups, what results we got, which is what we put in our reviews. Again, we're enthusiastic to help, although Fix should be the main resource. However, we have given a lot more testing to different weight combinations than they did. From speaking with them, they ran, from my understanding, a stock Grizz 700, with their weights, and gained 5mph and got good low-end gains.

I don't know their test scenario but they possibly will answer that for you. I can tell you I personally got better results from a lighter weight combination than using their weights as you would see from reading the entire thread. I'm not trying to be argumentative towards you, but encourage you to see MY findings with my setup, and if yours is similar, to try them with lighter weights as I feel like you will then be more pleased.

As we have said, we were very impressed with what we got out of the sheave. If you were not, I encourage you to call Fix and talk to their tech folks about it as they are very helpful.

Thanks!
Buster

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
well that took most of my day to read all those posts but it was a good read.
I think that I you've talked me into buying the FIX unit and trying it on my stock 08 Griz 700.
The additional stock 660 and 450 weights are pretty cheap online so I will tinker with them too.
I like to tinker..
I am not that interested in top speed but more into bottom end and midrange torque for crawling around the trails. We have a lot on open desert here but 60-70 (freeway speeds) on this little thing is kinda scarey....

81 - 99 of 99 Posts