ATV Torture Forums banner

61 - 80 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
my sheave should be hear any day now...........im running 27 XTR'S on 14inch SS112's, full skid plates, UNI filter, power tip and im 210lbs . Seeing how i dont have the power mods like the rest of you what weights would be best for my set up? Im guessing the lighter the better but im really not sure how all this works quite yet . Note: The type of riding i do is extreme trails and low end power is what im after .

·
Registered
1 Posts
Trailhunter:
I use my 700 much the same & thought with 27" tires I'd require a heavier set-up for rock crawling & low end pull. Tried at 1st running a few 700 weights mixed with Fix but in the end I ended up pulling all the 700 weights & going with all Fix weights. I would recommend that what you do right of till maybe some-one comes up with a better set-up.

·
The Boss
4,362 Posts
I just finished installing 8 450 weight in mine. My first opinion is that it pulls the front up too fast for certain control issues. I will need some additional track time but I just may switch a couple of weights a bit heavier.

·
The Sheriff
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Yesterday my other Kodiak weights came in so last night I installed 6 Kodiaks and 2 Fix weights. Tonight I'll give it a test and see how it feels.

·
The Sheriff
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
I've read somewhere that you're justa clutch pansy so I doubt you'll pull the trigger!
;;s;;

Koko said:
Great news...can't wait to hear both of your reports. The trigger finger is getting closer and closer.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
LMAO...true...I'm eyeing another toy to waste the time around the house when I can't get out and ride. So it's going to be a tough decision... :laughing7:

·
The Sheriff
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
The toy lover in me is curious as to what you have your sites set on.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well i got mine in the mail today so i ripped into the grizz 2 mins later. I put all 8 FIX weights .
My bike is pretty much stock and my first imprestions arent that great. I only had 3 passes on my street in front of my house and it seems to have loss some bottom end power :dontknow: when i pinned it it. I could wheelie my bike with little effort on the tar mack before the sheave and now i really need to put up on the bars to get the front tires to come up. Then it seemed to pick up power after 15-20 kms. Im not sure if its from the lack of time for the grease to settle but first impretions were dissapionting to say the least. Im dieing to take it out for a ride and let the belt seat its self in the new sheave and let the grease do its thing. But i geuss it serves me right for buying it with only one mans opinion. Time will tell.

$250 for the sheave
$40 for shipping
$35 for my goverments share

= :crybaby2:

·
The Boss
4,362 Posts
Give it a little seat time. FWIW Buster and I were having better results by using other weights. I am using 8 450 weights, but I also took the inner sheave out and deglazed it. Rode some tonight and I do like it quite well. I is going to take some getting used to but I could always throw my winch and bumper back on for a little extra weight up front.

·
The Boss
4,362 Posts
One other discovery is the amount of grease people are using. Remember more grease equals more weight. I uses about a tsp. per ramp. I had half of what fix gave me left over.

·
The Sheriff
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
As was said in previous posts by me, the Fix weights as an entire setup are too heavy and need to be used in combination with other weights based on yours setup. I put in 6 koidiaks and 2 Fix weights tonight and mine is much better. Again, it's a tuning process to see what is best for your setup. My setup would be way too agressive for a bike with stock tires and wheels I'm sure.

Tomorrow night, I'm gonna put 8 Kodiak weights in and see what happens.

Buster

·
The Boss
4,362 Posts
Koko said:
I thought you didn't like the 450 weights and were going back to 660?
Well I originally did not like the behavior wit the 8 450 weights. But it was awful fun playing around tonight. I may just have to get used to it some.

·
The Boss
4,362 Posts
Well here are some things I did differently that I didn't do the first time.
1. Cleanliness is next to Godliness. I took everything apart completely and cleaned till sparkling in parts cleaner. Why the Virgin Mary herself would be proud to install my clutch sheave. (A little R.Lee Ermey / FMJ humor...please don't take offense)
2. Removed the inner sheave and de-glazed with a red scotch brite pad. It looked like the Fix sheave when I was finished.
3. The sheaves was being handled at all time I used rubber gloved and made sure no grease or dirt was on the sheaves.
4. Grease.....A little dab will do you! Don't go overboard. Just because they send you a big baggie does not mean you need to use it all. I use just a little more that a Teaspoon per ramp. When I am done I have half a baggie of grease left over.
5. Do not be afraid to experiment with weight combinations. It takes tuning. I am sure that if any sled guys read this they can agree that CVT clutch tuning is kind of an art.

-GW out

·
Registered
25 Posts
:dontknow: am i missing something here? My bottom end has suffered considerabley with this sheave . Im not kidding im [email protected]#$$ing mad. I cant pop a wheelie now without yarding on the bars as hard as i can ( im 210lbs and strong) And it doesnt even pop up half the time. I could pop it up with little to no effort before with my 450 weights before the sheave. The clutch seems like it doesnt engage until about 15-20 kms and hour in high range. The mid to to top end power has increased slightly but nothing to dance about. Arent the FIX weights lighter than the 450's ? I need help here before i lose my mind and temper.

61 - 80 of 99 Posts