ATV Torture Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
3TV. thanks for the pics and impressions of the new quad.

I'm curious about the lack of power steering. I know I love the power steering on the Grizz. It's a huge improvement in the slow technical stuff. The trail that you and your friends are building I think would be a great way to see if the power steering is all it is cracked up to be.

What's your take?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I think the power steering on the Grizzly 700 is all that it is cracked up to be.. Steering effort is definitely improved, and kickback through the handlebars when hitting a rock or stump with one front tire is decreased (not eliminated, but decreased). But the steering effort needed for the Renegade 800 R is still very reasonable. You can feel the extra workout your upper body receives from riding the Can Am at the end of an all day long ride in the mountains, but it is nothing to worry about in my opinion. I certainly would not base my ATV buying decision on whether or not the ATV has power steering. I think there are far more important considerations, ... like HORSEPOWER, SPEED, SUSPENSION, and HANDLING. The Renegade 800 R is far and away the best 4x4 I have ever ridden in those areas.

3TV

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
An update from the ride posted above. We filled up the ATVs gas tanks today at the gas station.

Renegade 800 went 58 miles, and took 2.9 gallons of gas to fill the tank.

Grizzly 700 went the same 58 miles, and took 3.0 gallons of gas to fill the tank.

Interesting that a 686cc engine uses more gas than a 799.9cc engine, especially because I would have thought I had been getting on the throttle more than my wife had, and would have gotten worse gas mileage. But then again, she was pretty much keeping up with me all day ... :dontknow:

In addition, we did some testing today with a Ron Wood full exhaust on the Renegade. I just need to get the review written.

3TV

·
Registered
109 Posts
Well if you where riding hard - just imagine how hard momma was pushing the griz to keep up !!! No wonder it took so much fuel.

I wonder what color Grizwiz is going to get now.

I say we start a pool - Pick the date G/W brings home a new Can Am and win the pot !!

Who's in ??

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
An update on the Renegade 800 R. Can Am sends these Renegade 800s out with the throttle stop screw set so that it limits how much throttle can be given. The throttle stop screw is set so that it is about 1/4 of an inch too far in. It takes all of 20 seconds to re-adjust the throttle stop screw, and gain a good 25% more top end power. After you make that change it feels like someone has installed a turbocharger, ... for free. I thought this thing ran strong to begin with, but that was nothing at all compared to what it is like when its full potential is released.

3TV

·
THE ENFORCER
2,037 Posts
3TV said:
An update on the Renegade 800 R. Can Am sends these Renegade 800s out with the throttle stop screw set so that it limits how much throttle can be given. The throttle stop screw is set so that it is about 1/4 of an inch too far in. It takes all of 20 seconds to re-adjust the throttle stop screw, and gain a good 25% more top end power. After you make that change it feels like someone has installed a turbocharger, ... for free. I thought this thing ran strong to begin with, but that was nothing at all compared to what it is like when its full potential is released.

3TV
There is no better mod than a free one that only requires a few turns! Did you get the exhaust on yet? If so, did you put an optimizer on it too?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
The Ron Wood exhaust review can be found at this link:

http://www.atvtorture.com/forum/index.php?topic=1596.0

I think that the Ron Wood exhaust is part of the reason I noticed such a dramatic increase in performance with the throttle stop adjustment. The Ron Wood exhaust is tuned to provide more top end power, and I did notice some gain in top end power with the Ron Wood exhaust, but not as much as I had hoped for. I think the reason I did not see more top end power increase is because I was never really seeing "top end" because of the throttle stop adjustment preventing the throttle body from opening completely. Once I adjusted the throttle stop screw to allow the throttle body to open fully I then saw the improvement from the throttle stop screw adjustment, AND the improvement in top end power from the Ron Wood exhaust. And at that point the difference in top end power was amazing. This Renegade 800 R motor with a Ron Wood exhaust absolutely screams on the top end. It is far more impressive than any ATV I have ever owned before.

3TV

·
THE ENFORCER
2,037 Posts
Well this thread is very incouraging. I'm looking at getting an Outlander 800R. The major differences between this quad and yours are plastics, suspension, and price. I want a work horse. With the Gade being VERY close to the Outty, do you think the transmissions and 4wd systems will be adequate for work vs play?

Seriously. I pulled both quads up on the BRP web page and these two quads are mechanically the same minus tires and suspension. Your take on the ability to work may have a huge impact on my next quad purchase.

(FWIW I'm also considering the Polaris 850XP and 800.)

Later.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
For 2009 Can Am smoothed out low end power a small amount, which makes the ATV more managable at the slow speeds needed for a work ATV, and for very technical 4 wheel drive terrain. But the Renegade and the Outlander now have the same clutching, whereas they used to be different. If the Outlander has the same clutching as my Renegade then it is a beast. The '09s don't have the extreme hit right off the line that used to make them wheelie monsters, but they still have much more aggressive clutching than other utility 4x4s I've ridden. Throttle control becomes more important at slow speed task like utility work. The Can Am's will certainly have plenty of power for any work you want to do though. I know that I could hook mine up to an oak tree with a chain, and ease into the throttle in high range, and have no problems at all smoking all four tires on pavement. The transmission, axles, CVs, and driveshafts on the Can Am's are almost double the strength of a Yamaha Grizzly. Strength wouldn't be a problem, control might be a problem. The Polaris or Grizzly utility ATVs are more suited for slow speed work, whereas the Can Am is more suited for fun. They are all capable of both work and fun, but the difference in emphasis is very apparent, at least to me.

3TV

·
Registered
15 Posts
3TV great write up. I sold my 700 Kawasaki prairie about 3 months ago, and have been researching what to buy for a long time. i've narrowed it down between the 700 grizz w/4000.00 in upgrades, or the renny 800X. I think good write up's like this make the decision a little easer, keep up the good work. I've been a long time lurker of the atv forums, but just stared posting.

25TH

·
THE ENFORCER
2,037 Posts
25TH INFANTRY said:
3TV great write up. I sold my 700 Kawasaki prairie about 3 months ago, and have been researching what to buy for a long time. i've narrowed it down between the 700 grizz w/4000.00 in upgrades, or the renny 800X. I think good write up's like this make the decision a little easer, keep up the good work. I've been a long time lurker of the atv forums, but just stared posting.

25TH
Welcome to the site. :eek:ccasion14:

21 - 39 of 39 Posts