Coral Pink Sand Dunes to Mt. Carmel Junction - ATV Torture Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
3TV

Coral Pink Sand Dunes to Mt. Carmel Junction

This is an ATV trail that travels through some of the most scenic country that Utah has to offer. The trail is best done as a day trip, starting just south of the Coral Pink Sand Dunes, and riding to Mt. Carmel Junction for lunch at the Thunderbird Restaurant, then returning back to the staging area via the same route in the afternoon. Trail surface is sand and some slickrock, with 23 crossings of the Virgin river in each direction. The Virgin River can have significant water in heavy run off months, but not enough to impede travel. In late summer when we did the trail, many of the river crossings are dry. Difficulty rating is "easy", yet this is a very fun trail.

The trailhead is on County Road 43, which travels south from highway 89 in southern Utah, to Colorado City, Arizona. CR-43 is the road that takes you to the Coral Pink Sand Dunes, and the turn off to Coral Pink Dunes, from highway 89, is well marked with signs. Here are the dunes, that you will drive past on your way to the trailhead.

The trailhead itself is directly across from this sign, which is 16 miles south of highway 89, on CR-43. If you are coming from the south you will be coming north on the Cane Beds road from Colorado City. The Cane Beds road is a graded gravel road until it crosses the Arizona / Utah border, at which point is becomes the paved road CR-43. The Arizona / Utah border is 4 miles south of this sign that marks the trailhead.

And here is a view of the trailhead parking area, with the above mentioned sign in the foreground. You will be taking the trail that can be seen leaving the staging area on the left side of the picture.

The first portion of the trail consist of fast sandy trails through cedar tree forest, in the high desert.

After several miles you will approach, and enter the Virgin River Gorge.

Once inside the Virgin River Gorge the scenery becomes even better, with red rock cliffs, and numerous water crossings.

The trail through the Virgin River Gorge will come out on a graded gravel road, that follows the gorge to Mt. Carmel Junction. On your way into Mt. Carmel Junction the trail goes right along side the golf course, and comes out at the Chevron station and the Thunderbird Resort. Feel free to park right in front of the restaurant, and go in for lunch.

The Thunderbird Restaurant has some of the best food in all of Utah, every item on their menu that I have tried has been excellent, especially their "Ho Made Pies".

After lunch you can refuel your ATV at the Chevron station if you need to , or simply return to the Coral Pink staging area via your earlier route. Total distance travelled on this trail will be roughly 38 miles. Scenery on the return trip is equally spectacular.

As always in the desert, be prepared, and carry lots of drinking water. Enjoy.
3TV
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02139.jpg (224.2 KB, 8 views)

2012 Can Am Renegade 1000 X Xc
2013 Polaris Rzr 800 LE
2015 Polaris Rzr 900 EPS Trail
2015 Polaris Sportsman 1000 XP

Last edited by 3TV; 05-12-2012 at 12:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 11:35 PM
The Boss

3TV, those are some absolutely breathtaking photos.

We are earmarking some time to head west next year and do some riding. I honestly cannot wait til then.

Thanks for the review.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 02:13 AM
SMILEY WHORE
Points: 6,493, Level: 52 Points: 6,493, Level: 52 Points: 6,493, Level: 52
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

This is an old thread ... but BUMP !!

A lot of the photo's are missing now, so I'm not sure what they were of, however, I took my kids to Pink Coral when they were younger & I didn't see any of the terrain in the photo's that are still in this thread. Which looks like some awesome riding ... ...

3TV ... if I plan a trip down there, I may be hitting you up for some detailed directions ...

"Work" is a Dirty Four Letter Word ...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
3TV

I cleaned up that thread a bit, by removing the links to pictures that no longer exist. Gunny, any time you're coming down this way just let me know. We'll be happy to provide directions, or guide services if we can.

2013 Polaris Rzr 800 LE
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 01:59 AM
SMILEY WHORE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3TV View Post
I cleaned up that thread a bit, by removing the links to pictures that no longer exist. Gunny, any time you're coming down this way just let me know. We'll be happy to provide directions, or guide services if we can.

SWEEEEEET !!! ... ...

And Will Do & THANKS !!!

Maybe this fall ... would that work for you ??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Gunny; 05-12-2012 at 02:03 AM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
3TV

Yes, fall would be fine.

I'm taking some guys from the Can-am forum on a trail this saturday, memorial day weekend, if you're interested. The trail is very challenging, but a lot of fun. It is ten miles long and takes five hours to complete if you don't have any problems.

2013 Polaris Rzr 800 LE
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 03:07 PM
SMILEY WHORE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3TV View Post
Yes, fall would be fine.

I'm taking some guys from the Can-am forum on a trail this saturday, memorial day weekend, if you're interested. The trail is very challenging, but a lot of fun. It is ten miles long and takes five hours to complete if you don't have any problems.

Dang, can't this weekend, but THANKS for the invite !!

Next month, my Polaris buddy & I have a week planned in the Jose Valley Reservoir area, down by Castle Dale, to do some rid'in, should be a good trip.

I'll stay in touch & look'in forward to some pics of your ride next weekend !!