Best Truck - Page 3 - ATV Torture Forums
The Lounge Registered members only.

View Poll Results: Favorite Truck Brand?
Toyota 0 0%
Ford 7 43.75%
Chevy/GMC 4 25.00%
Dodge 4 25.00%
Nissan 0 0%
Honda 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-13-2008, 09:55 PM
Points: 610, Level: 12 Points: 610, Level: 12 Points: 610, Level: 12
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIZZLYWIZARD View Post
My 06 Dodge Gas with AT just hit 60,000. It is still a heck of a truck even when nearly half of the mileage is from pulling 50 KVA diesel generators loaded with 200 gallons of diesel fuel up WV mountain sides.

If it was not for the poor fuel economy they get, I would consider buying a dodge for my personal vehicle.
That is a good test for that new trans! However, I am trying to figure out why your company would buy a gas engine to pull that wieght when they would save money running a deisel, and you would have extra power? I would also say that you should look into the 09's for your personal vehicle! The new 1500 is getting a lot better mileage and it has that MDS system too which is a benefit!

2008 Grizzly 700 non-EPS; Steel Blue; Yamaha HD Bumper; Warn XT25 winch; 26" ITP Mudlites on 12" ITP SS112 Alloys; 1.5" Aluminum Wheel Spacers; HMF Programmer; Dynatek Rev Box; EHS Airbox lid; HMF Utility Series Exhaust; 2" reciever w/ my very "OFFICIAL" homemade tow hook!
Future Mods: EHS High Flow kit; Clutch Kit; PIAA Light Kit

2008 Grizzly 450; Red; 26" Mudlites on 12" ITP ss106 Alloys; 3500lbs. Bear Claw Winch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-13-2008, 11:23 PM
Points: 48, Level: 1 Points: 48, Level: 1 Points: 48, Level: 1

I voted for Ford but I must said that new 09 Dodge is going to be a force to be recognize.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 07:30 AM
The Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz Rider View Post
That is a good test for that new trans! However, I am trying to figure out why your company would buy a gas engine to pull that weight when they would save money running a diesel, and you would have extra power? I would also say that you should look into the 09's for your personal vehicle! The new 1500 is getting a lot better mileage and it has that MDS system too which is a benefit!
Well the main reason the choice is cost. The diesel is usually more expensive. Also not everyone in the work group pulls the same loads. Do for them to be equipped is useless. Another thing is that the long term maintenance is usually higher and we turn these vehicles in at 100,000 miles. For a diesel that's just getting broken in, but by then these vehicles are beat up. When I was in college my ME class did a study on diesel vs. gas (this was in 1993 when diesel was much cheaper) Under normal circumstances it takes 10.3 years for the benefits of a diesel truck to start paying dividends back with fuel savings. But they are extremely handy when you are pulling a heavy loads. Problem is with a diesel, it is actually very inefficient unless you are hauling a heavy load.

Don't get me wrong, I am not bashing diesels. I personally do not have any use for one in particular. It would be nice when hauling a rig with 3-4 quads but that does not happen often. And my Avalanche and 1 quad still affords me 18 mpg in the mountains if I keep the RPM's under 2G. Plus best of all, it's paid for.

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 08:32 AM
THE ENFORCER

That's the best thing about my F150. It's paid for! I don't miss that payment at all.

On the Dodge transmissions, I was unaware of problems in the light duty trucks. I had only heard and witnessed problems with the HD trucks. But just as Grizz Rider said...gotta take care of them to expect them to take care of you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 06:10 PM
Points: 610, Level: 12 Points: 610, Level: 12 Points: 610, Level: 12

I understand why you don't have the deisel motors now. I loved not haveing the payment too, but what got me was the 1/2 ton was regular cab, and when we had our boy that made it worthless for hauling the quads, so I broke down and got the mega cab so the whole family can go! The trans problems were more noticeable in the HD trucks, and anything with a 360 or bigger, I think it was just a matter of the power going through the trans was not well thought out, but I think they figured it out now!

2008 Grizzly 700 non-EPS; Steel Blue; Yamaha HD Bumper; Warn XT25 winch; 26" ITP Mudlites on 12" ITP SS112 Alloys; 1.5" Aluminum Wheel Spacers; HMF Programmer; Dynatek Rev Box; EHS Airbox lid; HMF Utility Series Exhaust; 2" reciever w/ my very "OFFICIAL" homemade tow hook!
Future Mods: EHS High Flow kit; Clutch Kit; PIAA Light Kit

2008 Grizzly 450; Red; 26" Mudlites on 12" ITP ss106 Alloys; 3500lbs. Bear Claw Winch
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-09-2020, 05:04 AM
Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1

psobily f150
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-09-2020, 05:11 AM
Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1

F150 on my mind. cheap, decently built, warranty, nice to drive, the steering wheel feels really nice, and custom interior is great, maybe need some refurbishment later on, but seems to be well built.