Renegade Airbox Mod - Page 3 - ATV Torture Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 05:30 PM
Points: 107, Level: 2 Points: 107, Level: 2 Points: 107, Level: 2
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Question

Thanks for the indepth post Stray, again, I will be following suite! This is one of the better snorkel/intakes I've seen. I never did like the factory intake onder the left fender... too much mud. My question to you is about the 9% increase in HP I could get with the '09 intake setup, with this intake mod (frogzskins) do you think I would still get that same HP increase in your opinion? What kind of plastic did you use to seal off your box? puckboard? Thanks Stray, you guys here at ATVT are more informative than my local dealer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Points: 788, Level: 14 Points: 788, Level: 14 Points: 788, Level: 14

thanks for the compliments! ok, first things first - the 9% gain is what the 09 models (800R) are reported to have over the 08 models. this is gained by not only the improved intake/air filter, but a slight variation in the cams and maybe other differences, too. owners of the 07-08 models can expect a 4-5% hp gain by adding the 09 intake and air filter (i believe a couple of o-rings are needed for the injectors on this swap, also). porting the airbox would not hamper that 4-5% gain, but you may need to add another opening, or use a different combination of sizes (the frogzskins are made in a number of sizes). the material i used to block off the stock opening was just a piece of abs plastic that i cut from some scrap i had lying around. i haven't received my hdpe (puckboard) yet, but it should be available for me to pick it up (2 hrs away) this week. can't wait to fab some skids for all 3 of my bikes, as well as some well-needed bulletproof cv guards. i will definitely keep you guys posted...
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

ok, after replacing a ripped cv boot and installing a new bumper and gorilla 3000lb winch, i finally got to put some miles on after the airbox lid. i was concerned about the additional weight i added with a steel front bumper (17 lbs) and winch (20 lbs) hindering my wheelies. not so! the front end seems as light as it ever was, even with nearly 40 lbs out in front of the wheels! i have no way of determining whether i gained any ponies or not, although i've seen reports of 2-3 hp gains on an outlander with just an airbox mod (supertrapp dyno test). all i can say is, it definitely feels quicker in a "seat of the pants" test! let me get some more miles on and i'll pull the plugs to see how they look.

post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 12:04 PM
Points: 107, Level: 2 Points: 107, Level: 2 Points: 107, Level: 2

Stray, any word on how the air box mod went as far as power goes? How do the plugs look? I have the Frogxskins on order and just wanted to know how things are looking for you and your Gade regarding A/F mix, before getting drill happy. Thanks
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

IMHO, there's a definite increase in power. i've read on another forum that dyno runs show no increase, even with the airbox lid removed, but i swear there's noticeably more pep off the line. i need to take a look at the plugs to be sure i'm not running lean. i'll try to make a point of doing that this weekend, before we ride. once i do, i'll definitely post the results.
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 01:30 PM
THE ENFORCER

Looking forward to the reports. I'm prolly going to add an EHS Lid and Uni to mine soon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 01:41 AM
Points: 27, Level: 1 Points: 27, Level: 1 Points: 27, Level: 1

I've got my frogzskin and I'll be putting them on in the same fashion you have them tomorrow, once I pick up the correctly sized holesaw. As for running lean, I have already bought a PCIII USB and will be getting it programmed shortly, so hopefully that will eliminate any issues that might come up.. But let me know how your plugs look!
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 08:02 AM
Points: 81, Level: 1 Points: 81, Level: 1 Points: 81, Level: 1

wooot...yeah stray I cant wait for the results...I should be switching the 07 motor with my 08 motor soon and hopefully getting an HMF pipe....so Ill want to do the air box mod as well...cause after switching the motors I will have the PC3...cause the 07 has it on already for the pistons and cams...

let us know

Stiff

post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

i'm slacking on pulling the plugs... been really busy and when i do have time - i just ride the hell out of it! been trying to get my daughter's bayou straightened out, unsuccessfully. i will make a real effort to pull them this weekend, i promise.
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

pulled my plugs today. they're not as tan as i would've hoped, but not too white to really worry me. i think i may block about a third of one of my openings, and leave the other two completely open. maybe even half of one of the openings, then i'll check 'em after a nice long ride. the slightly lean condition probably explains the power increase, though...