ATV Torture Forums banner

ATV Wheel Balance

9K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  johncreed 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi Dose anyone balance there ITP wheels Im running 14' ITP Rims and 27' ITP xtr tires and have a little head shake 05 Brute 750

#8 ·
There is also stick on weights, I have used them, they do stay on the inner wheel. I picked up a $60 tire balancer many years ago off of Harbor Freight, works perfect on the atv wheels.

#9 ·
Stick on weights can be used in a couple of different ways. In the automotive tire industry a stick on weight can be put on the inside of the wheel and just put in teh center. The tire balancer would just be told that this is how it is to get its measurement. However, this method doesn't do the best of jobs. However, on an ATV, this may be your only option. If using stick on weight on an autombile wheel that is severely offset, say like on an acura or honda wheel, you can leave the balancer in normal mode but put stick on weight inside the wheel, placing the weight the machine tells you is for the outside, on the inside of the wheel but as far outward as possible. Then then one it tell you to put on the inner lip stick inside the wheel as far inward as possible.

On an XTR, I honestly doubt you are gonna get much accomplished with balancing. It is an agressive tread tire and should be expected to on asphalt for example, for the rider to feel the agressiveness of the tread, thus making them think it is unbalanced.

Something else to question, is it all 4 or only the front. Are they bouncing up and down or is it a side to side wobble of the handlebars?

Buster

#10 · (Edited)
Tire shake

Thanks for thr replys, the front tires shake the rear are fine I installed a steering dampner that tool 85% shake out. but I am going to try ITP Baja 8 ply 26" tires soon, We do a lot of semi Desert rides and I recon the Baja tire will float over the top and not dig in as much.
NT ride picture by reynard09 - Photobucket
-24.jpg picture by reynard09 - Photobucket
Pictures by reynard09 - Photobucket
NT picture by reynard09 - Photobucket
NT 4 picture by reynard09 - Photobucket
NT 3 picture by reynard09 - Photobucket

#13 ·
OK, glad to hear it was only the front and I have a possible solution. On my Renegade, I had the same problem and they were horrible arround turn. Contacted ITP's techicians. They said they get the same thing a lot and most people think tires are out of round but in most cases they found it to be nothing more than a front end out of align. I figured it to be a bluff. I realigned my front end myself in my garage. Low and behold, it fixed my wobble and everything is dandy.

Ya might wanna check the alignment or have your dealer do so.

Buster

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.