» Featured Product
New Page 3
  Get Registered Today!

Click Here to Register

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2009, 09:39 PM

Grizzly shock adjusting wrench

Hi everyone....
What type of wrench are you using to adjust the front and rear shocks on your Grizzly. I went to the local Yamaha dealer and they didnt have any so I went to 2 different cycle/ATV parts stores and bought two different wrenches and they were both the wrong size.
08 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS, Warn winch, PIAA lights, Warn Bumper, Kolpin gear, SS212 Wheels, Maxxis Bighorns, ROX 5" risers and handguards, Solex handlebars, Garmin GPS mounted with a Ram-Mount mounting system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2009, 09:50 PM
The Sheriff
ADMIN

Honestly, the easiest thing to do is skeet some wd-40 down in between the shock and the collar to get everything loosened up. Let it sit for a few minutes to trickle, then grab a pair of big channel-locks, grab the collar and give it the old twisty-twisty. The rears are a little difficult to get onto with the wheel on if your channel-locks are huge like mine. So, you may wanna pull the rear wheels off if yours are large.

I hope that helps.
Buster

CVTech Primary Clutch | Tune Monster ECM | AAEN Exhaust | Blown Concepts Custom Graphics | FASST Bars | Quad-Tech Seat Cover | Rigid Industries LED | 14" Hiper Beadlocks | 26x14 GBC Spartacus Tires
Old 06-02-2009, 09:57 PM

I have a huge pair of channel locks that I used before but they seem to tear up the edges of the teeth on the adjusting thingy.... Maybe the WD40 is the trick.. I will try that now..
08 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS, Warn winch, PIAA lights, Warn Bumper, Kolpin gear, SS212 Wheels, Maxxis Bighorns, ROX 5" risers and handguards, Solex handlebars, Garmin GPS mounted with a Ram-Mount mounting system.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:07 PM
THE ENFORCER
ADMIN

Try jacking up quad to take some of the pressure off too. Might help. Why wouldn't your yami dealer order you the part?
Old 06-02-2009, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BATTLEGUN View Post
Try jacking up quad to take some of the pressure off too. Might help. Why wouldn't your yami dealer order you the part?
I have it jacked up.. I didnt order the part because the channel locks worked initially and I thought I could find an aftermarket part that would work... But,, I am going to the Paiute Trails this weekend camping and I needed to crank it up some because of the extra weight I am carrying..
Old 06-02-2009, 10:12 PM
The Sheriff
ADMIN

Good point BG, i forgot to mention that about jacking it up.

I REALLY would not waste my money on the tool. I would jack it up, use wd and pliers and get-er-done.

CVTech Primary Clutch | Tune Monster ECM | AAEN Exhaust | Blown Concepts Custom Graphics | FASST Bars | Quad-Tech Seat Cover | Rigid Industries LED | 14" Hiper Beadlocks | 26x14 GBC Spartacus Tires
Old 06-02-2009, 11:13 PM

thanx for the tips.... the lube worked...
Old 06-02-2009, 11:18 PM
The Sheriff
ADMIN

That's great!

What happens is dirt and grit gets built up between the collar and the shock and makes it rough to turn without some lube. Ahhh, lube is always good. So, by skeeting some lube in, you loosened it up and made it easy to rotate with the channel-locks.

I'm glad it worked out and saved you a few bucks at the dealer for an un-needed tool.

Buster

Old 06-08-2009, 06:50 AM
Points: 441, Level: 8 Points: 441, Level: 8 Points: 441, Level: 8
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Thanks for the tips lads and I will be trying the channel locks too . When I have remembered to ask for this special spanner wrench nobody seems to have one and I've been wanting to try adjusting the springs on my BB to get rid of a bit of roll . Thanks again .

TD
Old 06-18-2009, 04:22 AM
Points: 441, Level: 8 Points: 441, Level: 8 Points: 441, Level: 8
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Well I did as was mentioned here and lubed that collar thingy and had the bike jacked up . A set of channel locks and it moved smooth as a whistle . I would have kicked myself for buying that special wrench because it sure is not needed if following these very easy directions and readily available tools . Thanks again .

I'm interested to see now how the BB moves along with the suspension cranked up a bit .

TD