» Affiliates
» ----------------------
» View us On
» Featured Product
New Page 3
  Get Registered Today!

Click Here to Register

ATV Torture Forums

ATV Torture Forums (http://www.atvtorture.com/forums/)
-   Yamaha Forum (http://www.atvtorture.com/forums/yamaha-forum/)
-   -   Grizzly shock adjusting wrench (http://www.atvtorture.com/forums/yamaha-forum/4718-grizzly-shock-adjusting-wrench.html)

desertrat 06-02-2009 09:39 PM

Grizzly shock adjusting wrench

Hi everyone....
What type of wrench are you using to adjust the front and rear shocks on your Grizzly. I went to the local Yamaha dealer and they didnt have any so I went to 2 different cycle/ATV parts stores and bought two different wrenches and they were both the wrong size.

1Bad1000Xxc 06-02-2009 09:50 PM

Honestly, the easiest thing to do is skeet some wd-40 down in between the shock and the collar to get everything loosened up. Let it sit for a few minutes to trickle, then grab a pair of big channel-locks, grab the collar and give it the old twisty-twisty. The rears are a little difficult to get onto with the wheel on if your channel-locks are huge like mine. So, you may wanna pull the rear wheels off if yours are large.

I hope that helps.
Buster

desertrat 06-02-2009 09:57 PM

I have a huge pair of channel locks that I used before but they seem to tear up the edges of the teeth on the adjusting thingy.... Maybe the WD40 is the trick.. I will try that now..

BATTLEGUN 06-02-2009 10:07 PM

Try jacking up quad to take some of the pressure off too. Might help. Why wouldn't your yami dealer order you the part?

desertrat 06-02-2009 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BATTLEGUN (Post 20521)
Try jacking up quad to take some of the pressure off too. Might help. Why wouldn't your yami dealer order you the part?

I have it jacked up.. I didnt order the part because the channel locks worked initially and I thought I could find an aftermarket part that would work... But,, I am going to the Paiute Trails this weekend camping and I needed to crank it up some because of the extra weight I am carrying..

1Bad1000Xxc 06-02-2009 10:12 PM

Good point BG, i forgot to mention that about jacking it up.

I REALLY would not waste my money on the tool. I would jack it up, use wd and pliers and get-er-done.

desertrat 06-02-2009 11:13 PM

thanx for the tips.... the lube worked...

1Bad1000Xxc 06-02-2009 11:18 PM

That's great!

What happens is dirt and grit gets built up between the collar and the shock and makes it rough to turn without some lube. Ahhh, lube is always good. :beer" So, by skeeting some lube in, you loosened it up and made it easy to rotate with the channel-locks.

I'm glad it worked out and saved you a few bucks at the dealer for an un-needed tool.

Buster

trapperdirk 06-08-2009 06:50 AM

Thanks for the tips lads and I will be trying the channel locks too . When I have remembered to ask for this special spanner wrench nobody seems to have one and I've been wanting to try adjusting the springs on my BB to get rid of a bit of roll . Thanks again .

TD

trapperdirk 06-18-2009 04:22 AM

Well I did as was mentioned here and lubed that collar thingy and had the bike jacked up . A set of channel locks and it moved smooth as a whistle . I would have kicked myself for buying that special wrench because it sure is not needed if following these very easy directions and readily available tools . Thanks again .

I'm interested to see now how the BB moves along with the suspension cranked up a bit .

TD