ATV Torture Forums banner

2012 Polaris RZR XP 900 Review

13K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  3TV 
#1 · (Edited)
Polaris has raised the bar in side by side performance with the Rzr XP 900. I had always felt that side by sides were in their infancy stage, and were rather crude, unrefined, and under performing. I had owned two Yamaha Rhino's before and was so underwhelmed with their performance and quality that I sold them, and have gone without owning a side by side for the last four years. I really liked the side by side concept, and had thought they had the potential to be very fun vehicles. But each time I looked at them and test drove them I came away unimpressed again. Then a friend was given a Rzr XP 900 as a test vehicle to write about, and I had the chance to really check one over. The Rzr XP 900 surprised me. Anyone that has followed Polaris ATVs over the years can attest to the huge improvements in performance and quality that came about when Polaris developed their Sportsman XP 850 and XP 550 ATVs. The XP ATVs were such an improvement in every aspect that it was almost as if a completely different company had built them. The same holds true for the Rzr XP 900 when compared to previous Polaris side by sides, and when compared to side by side vehicles from other manufacturers. Every single aspect of the vehicle has been improved. Quality of construction is better, fit and finish is better. Noise, harmonics, and vibration are reduced. The engine feels strong and sounds solid. The transmission works better. And the suspension is vastly better than any other production off road vehicle, with the exception of current motocross dirt bikes.

I've owned my Rzr XP 900 for about a month now, and have 200 miles on it. Here she is:

Here are a couple of pictures that show the suspension in more detail:

I really like how easy it is to service this XP 900; remove an access panel in the bed and you have access to the air filter and spark plugs right in front of you. Remove the acess panel in the left upper part of this picture and you have access to the oil tank and dipstick. Remove the seats and an access panel in the engine firewall and you have access to the oil filter and the rest of the engine. The CVT is easily accessed from under the left rear fender.

See less See more
#2 ·
I've made just a few improvements to my Rzr XP 900. I've added Pro Armor trailing arm guards; I like the UHMW glide plates on the bottom surface.

I've also added Ricochet Off Road a-arm guards to help protect the a-arms.

#5 ·
Koko,
two years has came and gone since you asked that question. I owned the 2012 Rzr 900 XP for one of those years, and owned a 2013 Arctic Cat Wildcat for the other year. I just sold the Arctic Cat Wildcat last weekend, and bought a 2014 Rzr 1000 XP.

Having owned both the Rzr 900 XP and Wildcat 1000 I can compare them if you like. The Rzr has more power, and better handling on tight trails. The Wildcat takes a football field to turn it around, turning radius is really horrible. But the Wildcat has much better suspension and high speed handling. It is impossible to hit a bump wrong with the Wildcat. You don't even need to know how to drive with the Wildcat. It just doesn't matter what line you pick or what bump you hit, the suspension will save you. I spent a lot of time tuning suspension on the Rzr 900, and even switched to Elka shocks, and then continued to spend a lot of time tuning the suspension. But I never even touched a clicker in the entire year I owned the Wildcat. The Wildcat is more comfortable and more roomy in the interior as well. If I had to buy either a Wildcat or a Rzr 900 XP, I would pick the Wildcat.

But, ... I've bought a Rzr 1000 XP. It was time for something new, and the 1000 raises the bar yet again. The 30 extra horsepower it has over the Wildcat I had is hard to ignore.

#4 ·
HMF Exhaust on the Polaris RZR 900 XP

At HMF, We spent a lot of time doing the research and development on the Polaris RZR 900 XP exhaust system. The Full System is a Dual setup with (2) exhaust shells. Each step of the HMF head pipe is designed to maximize power and torque throughout the entire RPM range. The exhausts also install in a new mounting location located on the sides of the RZR 900 XP. The sound that the dual system produces is ridiculous. It features the signature HMF deep tone paired up with a distinct, aggressive growl.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.