ATV Torture Forums banner

AXO Chute Helmet

6K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Koko 
#1 ·
AXO Chute Helmet

Words and photos by: John K

There’s one piece of riding gear I never ride without, a helmet. People tend to be very opinionated on this subject. As for myself, I wear a helmet every time I ride. All it takes is one good bump to throw you off your quad and your life could change forever. That being said, it was time for me to get a new helmet. My current helmet is a few years old and has seen better days. It also does not have a removable liner making for a pretty diner liner.

Helmets have a wide range prices. You can expect to pay anywhere from $30 to $600 for helmet. How does one know what to buy with that with that kind of price range? We decided to pick a helmet right in the middle of this price range with an MSRP of $299.99. There was one helmet in particular that caught our attention, it was the AXO Chute Helmet. All things considered it was the looks of this helmet that caught our attention. The Chute Helmet comes in ten great color combinations. This makes finding a color you like an easy task even for the most discerning rider. We chose the electro green/black color combo for our test unit.
Now that we picked out a helmet, it was time to look at the features. After all, when you’re paying this amount of money you want to know what you are getting for you hard earned money. One thing’s for sure, you want a helmet that doesn’t weigh a lot. Riding an ATV or dirt bike takes a lot of energy in and of itself, the last thing you need is helmet that is wearing you out due to its weight. The AXO Chute Helmet weighs in at a respectable 3.2lbs and constructed of fiberglass. The Polystyrene liner is pressure molded and tested to ensure it fits and stays in secure within the helmet. This quality build construction is for the helmet to be both DOT Approved and Snell 2005 certified.

The features don’t end there. The Chute Helmet comes with removable and washable liner and cheek pads. Quite honestly this is my favorite feature of the whole helmet. A washable liners means the helmet can be cleaned of sweat and dirt after each ride. This is my first helmet with such a feature and I will never own one without it again.

<table border="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td> Additional features that make this helmet a great value:

</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

• Machined Aluminum and PU molded visor washers and bolts
  • 3 piece molded intake vent attached to the front of the helmet
  • Molded debris deflector nose guard is removable
  • Molded intake scoops on the cheeks and exhaust vents on the crown of the helmet
  • Clear coated graphics
  • Multi layer base coat color
  • Stainless steel D ring chin strap system
  • Unique materials and construction ensure lower interior noise

I was excited to get my new helmet because quite honestly who doesn’t like getting new equipment? When the helmet arrived I was sad to find out the helmet sizing is way off. I ordered my normal size and was shocked to find out it didn’t even come close to fitting. This happened even after I measured my head per the instructions located on A week later I had another helmet on my doorstep that was one size larger and fit. Take note of this, if you decide to buy this helmet order accordingly.

Inside the box was another surprise, a second visor. This means if you drop your helmet on the visor or have a mishap, there’s a spare to keep you going. The most I ever got extra with a helmet was some spare visor screws. So a whole visor was an unexpected yet nice touch. The helmet also came with a draw string helmet for transport when not in use.

Helmets are a little tough to write reviews on. Ultimately people want to know how well they protect your head in the event of a crash. Lucky for us we were fortunate enough to not incur a crash involving our head while wearing this helmet. We’ll have to take their word on the Snell and DOT ratings. We can say after getting the right size helmet, it was comfortable fit. The padding has held up well and does not show any signs of wear. But again the best part of this helmet is the removable liner. After three months of use this feature has allowed us to keep this helmet from getting a bit raunchy! In my book that means a lot!

There were a few differences that became evident when comparing this helmet to my previous helmet. First was cost, my previous helmet had cost half as much as the Chute Helmet. But honestly, what is the difference if you spend another $150 when purchasing a $7000+ machine?We all have no problem spending $100’s if not $1000’s of dollars on aftermarket parts, so why cheap out on you helmet that protects you.

Conclusion

Overall, the AXO Chute Helmet [/B]has held up well and met our expectations. We look forward to using this helmet for a good long while. It’s comfortable, functional and affordable. Not to mention it protects the head on top of our shoulders. If you are in the market for a new helmet, we suggest you give the AXO Chute Helmet line a look, after all we did give it our “Tortured” stamp of approval.

Pros:
  • Snell 2005 and DOT Approved
  • Removable liner and ear pads
  • Extra visor
  • Comfortable fit (when you have the right size)

Cons:
  • Price may be viewed as expensive to some
  • Runs small, need to purchase a size larger than normal
  • Visor seems a little flimsy

The chute is currently available in sizes XS - XXLRG.
Suggested Retail. $ 299.99

Contact Information:

For more info visit www.axo.com or call AXO at 1-877-AXO-RACE
E-Mail: info@axo.us
AXO America
26465 Summit Circle
Santa Clarita, CA 91350

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.