SHIFT Flak Offroad Jacket Review - ATV Torture Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
The Boss

SHIFT Flak Offroad Jacket Review

SHIFT Flak Offroad Jacket

After spending many times on the trails with typical outdoor jackets or hunting coats that never seem to just quite do it all, I decided it was time to look into a dedicated ATV riding jacket that would be capable of every type of condition that I may find myself riding in.
The search took me to one of the industry's leading riding apparel manufacturers. SHIFT has always been the choice for those looking for something unique and fresh. They also focus on fusing the creative influences from the world of motocross and sport bikes, lifestyle and fashion into all of their stylish performance products. The thing which attracted me most was the availability of some “low key” gear which wasn’t quite as flashy as some of the riding apparel which is geared towards the racer or sport bike enthusiast.
While SHIFT had several models to choose from I decided to give the SHIFT Flak Offroad Jacket a try. This top quality jacket left me eager for the return of cold weather riding again.
Here are some of the specifications of the SHIFT Flak Offroad Jacket
  • Durable 100% polyester and nylon construction.
  • Pre-curved sleeves for superior comfort in the riding position.
  • Ballistic reinforcements on the shoulders and elbows for abrasion resistance.
  • Removable zippered sleeves convert jacket into vest.
  • Large front cargo pockets and rear cargo pocket with organizer hold all the essentials.
  • Rear pocket to hold sleeves while riding.
  • *CE approved, removable elbow protection.
  • Adjustable zippered vents on front and additional vents on back and sleeves to keep you cool.
  • Front drink port for use with hydration pack.
  • Lightweight and breathable polyester mesh liner.

First impressions:

The SHIFT Flak Offroad Jacket is a 3 part jacket made of an extremely durable polyester and nylon material. Its pre-curved sleeves were very comfortable in any position whether sitting or standing. The sleeves are also removable with their own storage compartment in the rear, allowing the user to convert the jacket into a vest. The ballistic reinforced shoulder and elbows, along with removable, *CE approved, elbow protection gave me the confidence of impact and abrasion protection.
The First Test:

I eagerly awaited weather cool enough to put the SHIFT Flak Offroad jacket to the test. The first ride was a cool night that was perfect to run the jacket with its included removable liner. It was very comfortable with the liner and the ability to open and close the jacket's vents made it comfortable in the varying evening temperatures. The next morning, the cool damp air from the previous night carried over. Our ride began mid morning when it was too warm for the jacket liner, but too cold to go without the jacket itself. This didn’t pose a problem as the removal of the liner was a snap. 30 seconds later the SHIFT Flak Offroad Jacket was less one liner and I was heading to the trail head.
I also noted that while the jacket is not advertised as being waterproof, the evening yielded a thunderstorm which left everything other than what was under the SHIFT Flak Offroad Jacket extremely damp to say the least.
As the morning matured, and the terrain became a bit more challenging, I found that I was getting plenty warm and was contemplating whether I should have brought the SHIFT Flak Offroad Jacket along. I unzipped all of the vents quickly cooling me down and still maintaining comfort in the 65 degree morning.
I truly think that the jacket alone would give most people adequate cold weather protection in temperatures 40 degrees or above. Once the temps begin to rise the SHIFT Flak Offroad Jacket provides the versatility to remove the liner, open ventilation and remove the sleeves to convert it to a vest.
Conclusion:

All in all, I think the SHIFT Flak Offroad jacket is a necessary piece of riding gear for the ATV or dirt bike enthusiast to have around when the weather cools down or becomes a little unfavorable. I feel the styling is conservative enough for the Utility or Sport rider. One may also use it effectively on their street bike. This jacket retails for $199.95 and is available directly from the manufacturer at Shift. I proudly give the SHIFT Flak Offroad Jacket the ATVTorture stamp of approval. It is a top quality piece of personal protective equipment that has become an essential item in my gear bag.
Pros:
  • Durable construction
  • Plenty of storage pockets
  • Extremely adaptable for nearly all weather conditions
  • Comfortable and roomy
  • Great shoulder and elbow protection
Cons:
  • Not water resistant
  • Only available in black
*In order for a CE marked product to be approved, a manufacturer has to be able to prove that the product has passed the appropriate quality assurance tests.

SHIFT
18400 Sutter Blvd.
Morgan Hill, CA 95037
phone: 1.888.SHIFT.IT or 1.888.744.3848
fax: 1-408-776-8610
info@shiftracing.com / customerservice@shiftracing.com
Reviewed By: Gary
Edited By: Jim
Published By: Gary